[Spread-users] Spread source overview

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Thu Sep 6 00:24:57 EDT 2001

Primarily for my own use I have just been through the source and made a
one-line overview for each source file. I suspect I have it partially
wrong, particularly with respect to network.c, protocol.c, groups.c and
membership.c. I'd appreciate it if someone who "knows the source" can
correct me.

This is what I have:

Spread daemon:

acm.c           handle access control policies
acp-permit.c    acp_ops to permit open access
alarm.c         console message filtering&display
auth-ip.c       auth_ops for IP-based authentication
auth-null.c     auth_ops for no authentication
config_parse.[yl]   yacc & lex source for reading configuration files
configuration.c     yacc wrapper & configuration lookup
data_link.c     socket code layer with scatter
events.c        event scheduling&delivery, prioritised-events select wrapper
flow_control.c  update ring flowcontrol tunables
groups.c        manages group memberships
log.c           write log messages to file
membership.c    network membership state machine including ring protocol
memory.c        typed&pooled memory object manager
message.c       message object data access functions
network.c       implement forwarding choices of protocol.c, call data_link.c
protocol.c      implement reliability & ordering
session.c       handle client connections
skiplist.c      implementation of skiplists for group lookups
spread.c        initialise subsystems, start main event loop
status.c        respond to monitor status requests (magic 15051963)

Library sources:
alarm.c         as above
events.c        as above
memory.c        as above
sp.c            Spread client API implementation library

Tools sources:
monitor.c       monitor & manage daemons
flooder.c       message flooder
user.c          command-line interface to client API
simple_user.c   simple send&receive demonstration

Other sources:
r.c             sniffing tool
s.c             spamming tool
arch.c          dummy strerror for SunOS
auth-pword.c    acp_ops for cleartext password authentication     } unused?
auth-pword-client.c acp_ops for cleartext password authentication }

Regards

Joshua