[Spread-users] Trouble binding to specific interface

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Fri Nov 16 08:22:57 EST 2001

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 08:40:49PM -0800, Dave Parker wrote:
> That fixed the problem.  It's starting up and binding to 4803 tcp & udp
> and 4804 udp for just localhost.

4804 is a separte port for the token, so it doesn't get stuck behind data
packets in the socket buffer.

> Two things:
>
> 1) it seems it's binding to 1083 on every interface as well:
>
> from netstat: udp        0      0 *:1083                  *:*
>
> from lsof: spread    7168     root    6u  IPv4      22871
> UDP *:1083
>
> Is there an option for whatever that is too?

I think this is the UDP sending socket that we create to send broadcasts
(and other messages) on. We do not bind it to a specific port, but rather
let the kernel assign it a random port, as we do not care which one it
uses. I guess it is picking 1083 on your system.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science