[Spread-users] spread daemon CPU load.

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Fri May 25 12:26:41 EDT 2001

It might be useful to run the "monitor" program that comes with spread at
both the "idle" times and the "busy" times and see if it is reporting
different types of activity. You probably want to run the monitor with the
'-t' parameter giving a small number of seconds between each report so you
cna see the rate at which messages are being sent and if anything else is
changing during the time.

Especially check the number of token hurrys, membership changes and
retransmissions. If they are high then it could be that Spread keeps
detecting failures of machines that turn out to be false and this causese
'pauses' in Spreads processing of traffic. And these pauses correspond to
the periods of low cpu usage.

Does the busy period last for awhile or is it sort of momentary?

It could be that at small timescales there are bursts in the sending of
log messages.

Does something else happen around the same time (say some new apache
instances, a new monitoring client, some machines crash or are separated)?

Generally CPU load is pretty directly related to rate of messages as there
isn't much Spread does besides process messages :-).

Jonathan

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 06:08:24PM +0200, Xabier Vázquez Gallardo wrote:
> Hi there:
>     I'm ussing spread to concentrate apache logs and I notice that processor load may change from:

[...]

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science