[Spread-users] Spread release 3.16.0 -- New Open-Source license

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Thu Jun 28 22:49:55 EDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 12:53:38PM +0200, Julien Dufour wrote:

> On jeudi, juin 28, 2001, at 05:00 , George Schlossnagle wrote:
>
> > MacOSX makefiles and arch.h seem to be broken.  There are extra
> > linefeeds and improper spacing (instead of tabbing in the
> > Makefile), and the arch.h file seems to require types not
> > present on OSX (int32).
> >
> > On Wednesday, June 27, 2001, at 05:29 PM, Jonathan Stanton wrote:
>
> You are right about the Makefile. There are some issues with
> linefeeds and spacing. I fixed them and I also added the
> "-traditional-cpp" option to the CFLAGS and TCFLAGS. This option
> does not seem to change anything when compiling spread, but it
> is often needed to avoid conflict with ObjectiveC. That is
> preventive.

I think the makefile got corrupted by email, as I used one of the versions
of the MacOSX makefiles that were mailed to me by other people. We don't
have a MacOSX machine in the lab so I wasn't able to test the build.

> About compilation errors, "arch.h" is guilty. The Darwin
> architecture check stands in the i386 section that prevent
> ARCH_PPC_DARWIN being defined... Moving the check out of the
> i386 section fix the bug. A ARCH_i386_DARWIN section should also
> be made, if someone has installed Darwin for i386...

I think this must have been a cut and paste error on my part. I had
thought someone I talked with tested the MacOSX build before we released
it but I guess I misunderstood.

> Moreover, I met some other issues during linking (lrand48 is not
> defined). This can be easily fixed by removing the "#define
> HAVE_LRAND48" from the ARCH_PPC_DARWIN section of "arch.h".
>
> Spread does compile now. It still remains some warning in the
> parser (functions defined but not used), in spread.c (implicit
> declarations of "null_init()", "ip_init()" and "permit_init()")
> and in "user.c" (funtion "ip_authenticate()" defined but not
> used), but those warnings should occur on every plateform.

Yes those occuur on all platforms. I knew about the warnings but I didn't
want to just remove them since the right way to remove them takes some
restructuring work and doing dynamic loading of modules.

> I have also made a very few tests. "spread" and "spuser"
> binaries seem to be working. I ran two servers on two computers,
> and two clients. I made the clients connect on the same or on
> different servers, join a group and send some message.
> Everything was fine, but deeper test are needed.
>
> Modified files are attached to this mail. Just replace the
> original ones and it should work.

I will include them in the next release.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science