[Spread-users] PERMIT bug?

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Thu Aug 30 10:22:14 EDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 08:20:52AM +0100, Joshua Goodall wrote:

> I am quite new to Spread, so forgive me if I am barking up the wrong
tree.

> I am building 3.16.1 (using the downloadable patch to 3.16.0) on FreeBSD
> 4.4-RC1. The build succeeds, but running produces:
>
> [copyright notice snipped]
> Acm_init: Unable to establish default PERMIT policy. Spread build is
> broken
> errno say:: Undefined error: 0
>
> that's all, even with DebugFlags = { ALL }.
>
> >From my reading of the source, this is because Acm_init is called before
> permit_init, which is supposed to establish the PERMIT policy via
> Acm_acp_add_method.

Yes you are right. The patch on the website was really just a snapshot
(not tested) of what was being worked on for 3.16.1. I put it up for
people to look at. The first small patch is the one that I recommend
everyone apply as it fixes a noticable bug and actually works :-).

I have fixed the Acm_init bug already, I'll probably just remove the
second patch from the website as it probably doesn't help to have a broken
patch up there. We should release a real 3.16.1 very soon (as soon as
we've made sure we caught any other bugs like that)

> A little tinkering - placing permit_init() above Acm_init() - results in
> success.
>
> Nitpick: fseeks in log.c will segfault on freebsd (possibly others) if the
> fopen returned NULL for failure. It's worth checking the return values of
> those syscalls.

Good idea, I'll do that.

Thanks,

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu