[Spread-users] Persistence

Yair Amir yairamir at cnds.jhu.edu
Wed Aug 1 08:30:13 EDT 2001

Hi,

This is a very good question.

Spread is a networking mechanism (look at it as a reliable udp with very
big messages that can be directed to groups). So, no. Spread does not copy
things to disk.

One can develop another package on top of Spread that will provide the
persistency semantics that you are talking about, but will have to know
in advance who are all of the members of that "persistent" group.
The Spread membership service helps a lot in achieving that. If you
are interested in something like that - look at the following paper.
(that is actually providing a much stronger service):
http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~yairamir/fta-93.ps

Cheers,

	:) Yair.