[Spread-users] Spread 3.14 BETA patch available -- Membership bugs fixed

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Thu Sep 21 14:30:48 EDT 2000

Hello,

	We have discovered some serious bugs in the group membership code
of Spread 3.13. These bugs were introduced in version 3.13 when the
membership code was optimized. We believe the attached patch fixes all the
problems, but we have not completed testing to make sure.

The patch attached to this email upgrades Spread 3.13 to Spread 3.14. We
are releasing this as a BETA patch to enable testing and because for
people who need membership, 3.13 is non-functional. We hope to release the
full 3.14 version next week with full source and binaries.

The bugs result in the lack of correct group membeship messages when
daemons crash and recover. If no daemons fail then I believe 3.13 does
work correctly.

If anyone has any questions about this patch, or the bugs please email me.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science