[Spread-users] Spread 3.14 Beta2 available

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Thu Oct 5 13:30:34 EDT 2000

Hi,

	As I mentioned a week or so ago, we have found some significant
membership bugs in spread 3.13 that were introduced with that version. We
have made a 3.14 Beta2 release to provide everyone using spread with a
version that we believe is significantly more stable then 3.13. However,
we want to finish some more testing and make sure we caught all the bugs
before releaseing 3.14 officially, so we are calling this a beta.

	You can download 3.14b2 from the same place as usual:

	http://www.cnds.jhu.edu/download/spread.tar.gz

	And just choose the 3.14b2 binary or source package from the web
form. The binary package currently includes only linux, bsdi, freebsd4 and
windows because of some temporary hardware problems. We will have all the
usual binaries in the official release.

Please send us any feedback you have about this beta, or anything else
to spread at spread.org.

Thanks,

Jonathan

The current change list is:
1) Bugfixes to skiplist implementation.
2) Critical fixes to group membership that removes bugs introduced in
   optimization work of 3.13.
3) Critical bugfix to membership which solves problem with using
   configurations of more then one segment.
4) Changes to spread.conf parser, but nothing that should be user visable.
5) Better error/problem reporting in a few cases.
6) Enforce message length limit. SP_mcast* will now return an error
   if a message body is too long.
7) Minor memory leak at initialization fixed.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science