[Spread-users] Spread Version 3.14 released

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Fri Nov 3 20:04:38 EST 2000

Hi,

This is to announce the release of Spread 3.14. This release is
essentially a bugfix release and contains no new features.

Spread 3.13 had a number of stability problems as a result of the
scalability improvements we integrated in that version. This release
cleans up all the known bugs that resulted from the changes in 3.13 as
well as a few longstanding (but rare) bugs we discovered during testing.

I hope you all will find 3.14 significantly more stable then 3.13 and even
somewhat more stable then 3.12.

The following issues were resolved:

1) Bugfixes to skiplist implementation.
2) Critical fixes to group membership that removes bugs introduced in
   optimization work of 3.13.
3) Critical bugfix to membership which solves problem introduced in 3.13
   with using configurations of more then one segment.
4) Changes to spread.conf parser, but nothing that should be user visable.
5) Better error/problem reporting in a few cases.
6) Enforce message length limit. SP_mcast* will now return an error
   if a message body is too long.
7) Minor memory leak at initialization fixed.
8) Fix to events.c to prevent an illegal message bug. Bug is triggered
   when messages are sent very fast during a membership merge.

This version continues some small consolidation of
of the research done in the Center for Networking and Distributed Systems
lab (http://www.cnds.jhu.edu) at Johns Hopkins University over the
last few years into the public distribution.

Currently two freely-available commercial use licenses are available for
Spread. One allows the use of Spread for distributed logging of Apache web
server logs, and the other allows the use of Spread for distributed SSL
session caching with Apache-SSL. For more details please see
http://www.spread.org/license/

Other commercial licenses or other licensing arrangements are available.
Please contact yairamir at spreadconcepts.com. We are looking for partners
interested in using group communications and/or replication to solve
demanding, real-world problems.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science