[Spread-users] Spread.pm

Andreas Dembach andreas.dembach at kopernikus.de
Thu Dec 14 09:13:02 EST 2000

As I said:

> > I want to use Spread to send cache expiry messages to a bunch of machines. These
> > messages are quite short char strings (actually the object id's).

The setup is like this:

We have a database server and several frontend servers running Apache/mod_perl/Mason.
We are using a self-written "java-style" PERL-class framework as a persistence layer between the frontends and the database.
Every frontend machine has a shared memory area (implemented with IPC::MM) which is accessed by the apache-processes to cache PERL objects retrieved from the database. Now when a process modifies an object, it has to be thrown out of the cache on every machine. That's where spread comes into play: a row lock is set on the object's record in the db, the object id is sent to
every machine in the spread multicast group (what happens, if a machine cannot be reached?), the update is written to the db and the lock released.
Before any cache lookups take place on any server, the cache class calls a "validate()" method to poll for ids to invalidate.

So that's why a process reads _and_ writes to Spread - but the read takes place asynchronously.
We are using spread with mod_log_spread anyway - so we don't have to install any more additional cpan-modules.

Andy