[Spread-users] Problems with more than 2 hosts in a segment

Yair Amir yairamir at cnds.jhu.edu
Tue Dec 12 13:29:09 EST 2000

Hi Jeurgen,

I think Jonathan answer is definitely correct and your network broadcast address does not work on your network (172.21.1.255).

So, to have Spread work with a broadcast address you need to make sure you have a working address. Or, you can try an ip-multicast address instead such as 225.172.21.1.
This is the kind of solution that will work best.

There is another solution that will definitely work immediately:

Change your config file to include:

Spread_Segment  0.0.0.0:3333{
    hermes 172.21.1.10
}
Spread_Segment 0.0.0.0:3333{
    baggins 172.21.1.25
}
Spread_Segment 0.0.0.0:3333{
    gamgee 172.21.1.26
}
Spread_Segment 0.0.0.0:3333{
    took 172.21.1.27
}

instead of :

Spread_Segment  172.21.1.255:3333 {
          hermes  172.21.1.10
          baggins 172.21.1.25
          gamgee  172.21.1.26
          took    172.21.1.27
  }

This will cause Spread only to use unicast. It will definitely work for you BUT it is only 1/3 as efficient, so should be used only temporarily.

    Enjoy,

    :) Yair.